Monday, 5 December 2016

Film Opening Analysis: The Inbetweeners

As my film is based around youth culture, I have decided to analyse the opening of 'The Inbetweeners', which is a film based on the life of 4 teenagers going on their first holiday together. In the opening, it shows the boys travelling to the airport individually and meeting up with each other. The opening shows many conventions of youth culture, for example, the music used in the opening is conventional to todays youth, which is something I need to include in my film. They also include words used typically in youth culture, which again should be used in my film opening. Overall, I believe that this film has many ideas and conventions, including enigma codes that I can use in my film opening, as it will help me be able to get across my genre to my target audience. This film builds a collective identity of young people as being immature through different methods, such as showing them going on holiday alone, but being brought to the airport by parents which shows that they still aren't fully grown up. To me, this hints that throughout the film, the characters in this film will be immature and possibly cause trouble due to this, which comes apparent later in the film. I need to use these conventions in my opening, by setting the tone for the rest of the film by dropping subtle hints in the film opening. This works really well in the Inbetweeners, but this may be helped by the fact that it is following on from a popular TV series, so the film had a returning audience who had a long standing knowledge of the characters and their personalities. This may be a problem for me as I will be making a new film opening, therefore I would have to use more hints in the opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment